top of page

Frequently Asked Questions


What time will you get to my house on Move Day?

We will arrive at the pre agreed time traffic permitting.


How long does packing take?

This varies depending on the number of items you want moved, but after we survey your property we will include a packing time estimate in your Quotation.


How long do packers spend at my house each day?

Their working day is from around 9am to 4.30pm.


Will the same staff unpack my belongings?

Yes, we will try to keep one or two of the same staff if you are moving direct to mainland Europe (this does not include part load moves). However, if your belongings are being transported by container then this is unfortunately not possible.


How long will the international move take from door to door?

Move times depend on which country you are travelling to. We can advise you on this, but as a guide it is roughly one day for every 400 miles. Waiting for Customs clearance will add to this, and is out of our control. The time it takes to clear Customs may vary considerably - Switzerland, for instance, can take half a day – whereas some international destinations can take 5 days.


What items must I not take when moving overseas?

No inflammable or corrosive materials such as paint or gas cylinders may be taken into any country. Alcohol can be taken but this will hold you up at Customs. We will provide you with more detailed instructions depending on the country you are moving to as part of your move details.


Will my UK electrical items work overseas?

Yes, if the country you are travelling to has a 220 – 240 voltage system. If it has a 110 volt system, then unfortunately they will not work. In some cases, a transformer may overcome this, but be careful as this may result in the electric motor not turning at the right speed. A transformer is not recommended for appliances that need a high voltage such as irons, heaters, kettles etc.


Will my TV work?

Your TV may have to be altered as many use a different PAL system to the UK. DVD and VCR players can also be reset to be compatible with your TV.


What happens at Customs when we reach our country of destination?

If you are moving to an EU country there is no Customs procedure required. However, if you are moving to a non-EU country then we will provide you with the appropriate forms to fill in. In most cases, you will need to be at the Customs office when your belongings are passing through. You will also need to bring your passport, ‘entitlement to reside’, a residence visa, or be a National of the destination country.

Clearing Customs may take a while and can vary considerably, so always leave plenty of time in your day. In all situations you will need an inventory of your belongings but we will provide Customs with this.


Why should I insure my goods, are you not responsible for breakages?

Your belongings will be packed by professionals who have been fully trained and use the best packing materials. However, there will be times when your belongings will not be handled by us, for instance, when they are loaded aboard ship, or handled at Customs. This is out of our control, so it is a good idea to have insurance for this. 


Is the insurance subject to an excess or deductible?

No, there is no excess to pay or deduct with the insurance we provide.


Can your staff disconnect electrical appliances from my present home?

Yes, we can. Removal staff can disconnect appliances that are plugged in and we can provide our own qualified electricians for more complicated procedures, such as chandelier light fittings. They will also blank off the connection or fix a pendant bulb in the ceiling so a working light is left in the room.


Can your staff disconnect washing machines and dishwashers?

Yes, if it simply involves turning off a tap, providing that the tap has not seized and there is no water leakage. If in doubt, it may be worth getting a qualified plumber to carry out disconnection.


Can your staff remove things from my loft?

Yes, as long as the loft is properly lined and safe to stand in, and there is a suitable ladder and lighting.


Can your staff use webbing to let down a piece of furniture through a window or from a balcony?

However, we would need to do a thorough risk assessment first, to ensure there is no danger to our staff or your property.

bottom of page